1/24th Scale Me109 build thread

Our World in miniature, but it'll mostly be aeroplanes...

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Cerberus

1/24th Scale Me109 build thread

Post by Cerberus » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:34 pm

Evening gents,
I am hoping that the title at least grabbed your attention. Some of you lovely boys will know I have a keen interest in making models, that's the plastic or resin variety. I do plan to be building several aircraft as the year progresses and am putting the feelers out to see who has a similar interest within the ACG. I would plan to post a blog as the builds progress, outlining and illustrating techniques as I go in the hope that it may be useful, so if you are a closet plastic fondler or are interested in how its done you can follow along and I can provide advice if anyone needs it. I just want to gauge if there is an interest first?
Last edited by Cerberus on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bonkin

Re: Models exposed.

Post by Bonkin » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:45 pm

Good idea. I've made a recent post about the 1:24 Airfix 109 sale... I think the 1:24 Typhoon is also up for grabs as well - but the sale ends today.

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/forum/v ... 554#p68554

I've now got a Spitfire, Hurricane and 109 (all in 1:24 scale) to make - and was thinking about posting some pictures of progress on them as I went. I'd also like to see what other members build though.

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:29 pm

I'll be watching with interest. I've not made any of these things for years, but I'm always fascinated to see how people who really know what they're doing approach things. And who knows, you might inspire me to buy a kit again :D
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:34 pm

Bastard. I had my cock out n everything.

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:42 am

Well I am delighted there I some interest out there on the modelling front. I have spoken to some of you and based on this I will be running the blog pitching it at beginner level and covering the basics, not to be condescending but because some of you have said that its been a while since you played with the plastic so a refresher may be a good thing. Anyway I will be touching on construction, scratch building, photo etch, super detailing, painting (airbrush and hairy stick), decals, weathering techniques, figure painting (the Pilot), and displaying.

What it not meant to be is a rivet counting exercise or anything dogmatic in so far as what works for me may not work for you, I just hope it will help you in your builds and you can take from it what you like. I will answer any and all questions if I can. Please bear in mind I work shifts, my employment can be unpredictable but I will make steady progress, there may be periods where I am working away in the background so bear with me and be patient it will be completed.

On this note I will be building two models simultaneously, in the hope that if I have to allow some time on one I can at least continue on the other, I will show you both as I go along.

The kits will be the 1/24 scale Airfix Me109 and the 1/72 scale Airfix ME110. I intend to motorise the prop on the 109.

The '110 is of the new generation of Airfix kits which are new moulds and I also decided to build this at the same time to show you that the techniques will work in any scale and just how good modern kits are, not just exclusively Airfix, but from those when I first started modelling over 40 years ago, they are now simply superb. The 109 will take a bit more work I grant you, as the original mould dates from the 1970's. The obligatory humbrol tin of paint in the photos will give you a sense of scale.

So the 109 - what to we get?
untiltled 3.png
109 sprues.png
untitled1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cerberus on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:48 am

we expect a weekly update, (with Pics). :D
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, RTX3090FE, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V, 2x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 1x 1TB Samsung NVMe, Win 10 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, JetSeat KW-908, Reverb G2, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case, EVGA 850P2 PSU, PointCTRL

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:53 am

3 sprues, rubber tyres, decal sheet and an instruction book now with colour paint scheme instructions. Additionally I have bought the motor for the prop, aftermarket seatbelts and extra decals for the cockpit. .

For an aircraft in this scale not to many parts in fairness, a good mould really with nice rivets ( there have said rivets again, and no I'm not counting them), recessed panel lines and a little bit of excess plastic or "flash" on some of the parts, nothing that a bit of trimming wont sort out. The aircraft will be built mostly out of the box and enhanced were necessary.
untitled1.png
The extra bits.
Prop motor , phot oetch seatbelts and more decals.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:56 am

The 1/72 Airfix 110
bf110 1.png

Cerberus

Post by Cerberus » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:00 am

Yes no problems, plenty of pictures and explanations planned, I hope it may prompt one or two to start to build and it would be great to see some of the modelling work of other ACG members, but leave any cat walk poses out of it mind.
cerberus.png

Midge

Post by Midge » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:29 am

Back in the day there was a RAF Group captain who had a rather fine collection of "models exposed" ---I wonder?whatever became of him :?

Over Christmas I spent a few hours "Airfixing"...a very fine example of Sir Sydneys Hurricane with my six year old grandson...here's hoping :nice: