The gun topic

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Spectre

Re: The gun topic

Post by Spectre » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:39 pm

"Good guys with guns"

https://globalnews.ca/news/3717205/mich ... -supplies/

What kind of woman was the one with the handgun? Neutral Good? Chaotic Good?
"On the edge of destiny, you must test your strength"
- Air Marshal Billy Bishop

Smokejumper

Post by Smokejumper » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:04 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate

What do all the winning countries have in common?

Broadsword

Post by Broadsword » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Thaine wrote:You're wasting your breath, Bunny. He only came to preach.
Plus he really hates it when you exceed the allotted word count :D
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Just like some people to start being nasty to one another about differences of opinions. some of y'all have no room to talk when it comes to gun control in America. You've never had these freedoms of self-protection and protection of your family, you just have to wait for the government to get there if you're in need of a firearm.

Smokejumper

Post by Smokejumper » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:30 pm

http://www.self-defense-mind-body-spiri ... -time.html
Average police response time in cities 12 min and in the country it skyrockets.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1084246 ... lower.html
UK police respond time getting slower.

I'll keep my guns handy because I can.

For tongue in cheek if you where Americas hat you'd want a gun too. What if the world ends?!?

Stig

Post by Stig » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:35 am

Crazies and crooks will always have guns, bombs, trucks, acid, knives, rocks, etc. The citizen has a right to defend themselves. More laws and less guns in the hands of good citizens would not have saved these church people’s lives.
More guns didn't make a big differnce, either.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Toxic wrote:Just like some people to start being nasty to one another about differences of opinions. some of y'all have no room to talk when it comes to gun control in America. You've never had these freedoms of self-protection and protection of your family, you just have to wait for the government to get there if you're in need of a firearm.
We aren't in need of a firearm.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Smokejumper wrote:http://www.self-defense-mind-body-spiri ... -time.html
Average police response time in cities 12 min and in the country it skyrockets.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1084246 ... lower.html
UK police respond time getting slower.

I'll keep my guns handy because I can.

For tongue in cheek if you where Americas hat you'd want a gun too. What if the world ends?!?
If it ends we're all dead, or are you talking about the collapse of the capitalist system? In which case half of your population is going to get shot dead by the other half overnight. We'll be ok because we keep calm and carry on.

The response times are slowing because of Tory 'austerity', that is the cutting of 20,000 police from the force. Out of those responses there are very very few that need a swat team to deal with them. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything else, least of all any kind of situation where gun distribution will help. In fact, we're all looking forward to another gun amnesty over here, nothing will make us safer and maintain our freedom than the removal of firearms from our country. Excellent news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41964031

Have you ever considered the cost to the state of all of this 'freedom'? I mean, you are pretty unhappy about spending anything on public healthcare or any kind of welfare support, so I would imagine that a state funded police force with all of their equipment, training and weaponry who always have to come in and pick up the mess, plus the judicial and prison systems to prosecute and incarcerate the convicted, would be quite a high cost. All paid for by your taxes.

Macnihilist

Post by Macnihilist » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:11 pm

To guns, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Seriously though, each (reasonably democratic) society has to decide how it wants to balance freedom versus safety. America has traditionally put more emphasis on individual freedom. (And - living in a nanny state that treats me on every occasion as if I couldn't wipe my own ass - I think that's a good idea).

Sure, they could regulate guns and, quite probably, at least in the long run, fewer people would die. But were would the fun go? From a pragmatic point of view I could absolutely live with with a few more deaths per year out of a population of millions, if I get to play around with my own assault rifle in my backyard. However, if a majority says they want to trade this fun for safety, so they can sleep better, I'll oblige (although I think it sucks).

In Germany we can plow with 300km/h over the Autobahn. Because "free drive for free citizens", I don't think people really need to drive as fast as they want. Sure, we could regulate it and fewer people would die, but where would the fun go? Any politician who wants to take away that freedom will have a hard time getting elected in Germany. What's the point here? Freedoms that may seems unreasonable to some are very dear to others. Let the people who actually have to live with it decide. The arguments are on the table, and condescending remarks `a la "our system is so smart and yours is so stupid" don't add much to the discussion.

[Riiight. Now that I've written and re-read the above, I realize that this post doesn't add much to the discussion either, but... fuck it, I wrote it, now I'm going to post it. :D ]

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:17 pm

:lol:

Isn't that the second amendment of the German constitution?
A non regulated autobahn being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to drive as fast as they want shall not be infringed.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel