3rd spitfire squadron?

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Spirit

3rd spitfire squadron?

Post by Spirit » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Will there ever be a third spitfire squadron?
It would enable there to be a spit squad in all 3 shifts. There definitely are enough people willing to fly spits.

Is the hold up because of the ratio of spits to hurricanes in the RAF during the BoB?
Catch me if you can...

Kildren

Re: 3rd spitfire squadron?

Post by Kildren » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:36 pm

yes spits were not that common during BOB when we get to leaning forward (again) one of the hurricane staffels usually switches to spits

Speak to me about joining the ACG Pilots Union

Ginger
Wing Commander
Wing Commander
ACG Board
contributor
Location: The centre of the known universe Nottingham, England

Post by Ginger » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:44 pm

+ there are only so many girlie types in the RAF who cant handle a Hurricane. ;)
DEAD PILOTS DONT MAKE CLAIMS

Spirit

Post by Spirit » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Kildren wrote:yes spits were not that common during BOB when we get to leaning forward (again) one of the hurricane staffels usually switches to spits
How long away are we from this?
And are you still keen to join me in a g.50 when the pop up squadron comes?
Catch me if you can...

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:57 pm

I'm not sure on the RAF stuff, but if I had to guess, we've got things laid out for a Spitfire squadron per wing. Tangmere Wing has yet to be activated, and I would probably expect another Hurricane squadron there first before another Spitfire squadron.

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:28 pm

Spirit wrote:
Kildren wrote:yes spits were not that common during BOB when we get to leaning forward (again) one of the hurricane staffels usually switches to spits
A good while yet. Last time we did it, Leaning Forward covered the period from the beginning of October 1940 until May of 1941. That got real interesting considering the most advanced aircraft we were able to field was the Spitfire IIa and the E-4/N. Our poor Hurripals were still on their usual crates, except for 615 who I think upgraded to Spit Ia's for the campaign.

It was an interesting campaign, I somewhat miss the calm moments of banter as we sat parked in our 109's at Abbeville waiting for Boyezee to give the call to scramble. It was a little more varied than the Battle of France was, and certainly more than the Battle of Britain. Sometimes we'd go over to England to raise a little hell with JaBo missions or fighter sweeps, sometimes they'd come over for Rhubarb or Circus missions. It really kept things fresh having a different sort of mission to fly each week, and to hear the Tommies complain about flying across the English Channel (it's a drag, isn't it? :mrgreen: )

The sooner Hitler gives up on this Sealion nonsense the better. I hear Russia is nice this time of year...

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Ginger wrote:+ there are only so many girlie types in the RAF who cant handle a Hurricane. ;)

I just spit my coffee out ... :lol:

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Von Archie

Post by Von Archie » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:27 pm

If only we had a Spit V and a 109F...
i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs
VPC MongoosT-50 joystick / MFG Crosswind pedals / GVL 109/111 Throttle / Oculus Rift

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:31 pm

LuftAsher wrote:
Spirit wrote:
A good while yet. Last time we did it, Leaning Forward covered the period from the beginning of October 1940 until May of 1941. That got real interesting considering the most advanced aircraft we were able to field was the Spitfire IIa and the E-4/N. Our poor Hurripals were still on their usual crates, except for 615 who I think upgraded to Spit Ia's for the campaign.

It was an interesting campaign, I somewhat miss the calm moments of banter as we sat parked in our 109's at Abbeville waiting for Boyezee to give the call to scramble. It was a little more varied than the Battle of France was, and certainly more than the Battle of Britain. Sometimes we'd go over to England to raise a little hell with JaBo missions or fighter sweeps, sometimes they'd come over for Rhubarb or Circus missions. It really kept things fresh having a different sort of mission to fly each week, and to hear the Tommies complain about flying across the English Channel (it's a drag, isn't it? :mrgreen: )

The sooner Hitler gives up on this Sealion nonsense the better. I hear Russia is nice this time of year...

I'm looking forward to some Jabo missions and certainly staying on this side of the channel without a fear of drowning or becoming POW.

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Spirit

Post by Spirit » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:15 pm

Interesting stuff! I look forward to that part of the campaign!

RAF got it easy, no channel crossing, flying over friendly territory (which is 95% pilot survival even if you get shot up), claim what ever they look at.

Why don't we do a rotation system with the spitfire squadrons? We are limited to 2 squadrons and seems like there isn't ever any availability in them... why don't they have like a max number of sorties before you swap out. Giving new blood in them and making the pro spit pilots fly something else?
Catch me if you can...