Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Re: BoS VR

Post by Kit Pepper » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:09 pm

Kit Pepper wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:08 pm
No it doesn't matter other than I have to move my head slightly more to the right, and the site is already mounted a little to the right. In real life, I heard that the site could be adjusted to the left if the pilot wanted it.
I'm not sure how you shoot a rifle, left or right, but you use one eye to line up. If you shoot right, you probably use your right eye. Even with the revi, I still use one eye to line the cross hairs, and that's my left.

But, I'm wondering if the lenses in the VR are calibrated for right eye dominance (if that's possible), or are the lenses equal, and your brain just decides which eye to use? I could just close my right eye, but then I would lose the depth perception.
I'm just curious, because it would make a difference I would think. However, even if it were, I'm sure over time my brain would make the adjustment.

Crane

Post by Crane » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:49 pm

Reflex sights are intended to be used with both eyes open. You would use your right eye to look trou the sight even if you are left eye dominant. The dominat eye aiming issue comes from shooting iron sights with both eyes open.

Try setting up your in game head position so that your right eye sees over the sight. To aim, you just lean into the sight with both eyes open and you should get a sight picture. Your brain should even ignore the sight frame.
To do so, close your left eye and move your head into the desired default position and press F10. Close your eyes and sit normally. Press the VR sight reset key and open your eyes.

Jaydog
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Staffelkapitan

Post by Jaydog » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:06 pm

I just center myself and move my head how I need to line my shots up. I'll even lean into if need be, but in VR you really shouldn't need to lean much...you can walk in your deflection shots a lot easier.

i9-9900k, 3.6 GHz, GeForce RTX 3090 FE, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB Samsung EVO SSD, 480 GB SSD, 1 TB SATA III Hard Drive, Windows 10, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Warthog Flight Stick, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals; MFG Crosswinds, VR: Oculus Rift S/ Reverb G2 / Pimax Crystal

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:05 pm

Crane wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:49 pm
Try setting up your in game head position so that your right eye sees over the sight. To aim, you just lean into the sight with both eyes open and you should get a sight picture. Your brain should even ignore the sight frame.
What you are telling me to do is to look at my target making my right eye the dominant eye, and that's just not natural for me. When I'm tracking a target with both eyes open, it's with my dominant eye (left), and when I lean to the sight, I lean in with my left eye. It's only natural and to switch would be like trying to throw left handed (I throw right). I could do it, but it's forced, not natural.

But that is secondary to my question... is there a difference (focus angle, or alignment)in the lenses on the Rift? Or, are they the same? I think they are the same, but it would be interesting (and bad for me) if they were not. I just think I remember reading about this somewhere.

Moss

Post by Moss » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:35 pm

I bought a Rift at Ebay few weeks ago and my impressions after a few hours of flight: altought it looks realy great and i love it and i had a top performance on my system, the great joy in the first place comes to an end when entering combat. My spotting distance easily drops about 3-4km and aircraft identification isnt better. Last night on combatbox i was 150-200 m behind an aircraft at its low six and i was unable to tell, which typ of plane that was. I am still tweaking my graphic settings and will invest some more time. If you guys have some clues i am grateful to hear. I followed Mephistos link so far and some YouTube vids. But if the situation cannot be improved, i surely will get back to screen because otherwise, i am combat ineffective. Sad but true.

Crane

Post by Crane » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:45 pm

You should be able to ID from 200m, even in a rift cv1. Did you set up the different zoom factors? Or maybe you haven't found the sweet spot yet and are getting a blurry image? When you enter the IPD adjustment mode, you should get a green cross. If you can't see the single lines of the vertical and horizontal bar, try adjusting IPD untill the vertical lines are sharp and then adjust the attitude of the headset on your face to get the horizontal lines sharp.

Moss

Post by Moss » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:24 pm

IPD was set. The zoom wasn't at this point but even without you should be able to id at 200m. But i will work on it. It also is a matter of what you are used to i hope.

Crane

Post by Crane » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:32 pm

I belive quite hard to id from behind at 200m without zoom using a cv1.
And you will get better.

Sure Shot
Unterfeldwebel
Unterfeldwebel

Post by Sure Shot » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:01 am

I use the cv1 and identifying can be hard. I can Identify Russian planes much more easily than any of the other ailed powers. But I still have to be close. Spotting is easier for me however compared to the flat screen. What I did to help me Identify is super sample the resolution like 300%. But even then I have to be about 500m away to reliably Identify.

I remember reading some people say that pilots in the war had similar issues identifying so it made me feel better about me not being great at it.

Kit Pepper
Leutnant
Leutnant
Adjutant
contributor

Post by Kit Pepper » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:29 pm

Agreed Sure Shot. I seem to be able to spot better because the targets are more of a 'splotch' than a tiny speck However, ID'ing is more difficult and takes getting used to. I will say that the overall, my Situational Awareness is much better, and that is the first and biggest improvement (and the most important IMO). When I do spot a target, I don't lose it if I glance away to check the rest of the sky, because my true muscle memory takes me back to the exact spot. I can get a positive ID with a quick zoom in at about 600 meters. I'm not pulling the trigger till I'm much closer anyway. I think it will just take getting more practice and it will improve. But over all... I'm not going back to flat screen, even if my ID'ing takes a step backward for a while. There are just too many advantages to VR over flat screen.