Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

HTC Vive

Post by Donkey » Wed May 11, 2016 9:31 am

So in a fit of drunken profligacy back in April I may just have bought myself an HTC Vive. Without telling the wife. Anyway, it turned up the other day and ... God's Cock! It is *AMAZEBALLS*. I have temporarily set it up in the living room so I am currently away from HOTAS, pedals etc... and therefore have not tried DCS. But I have tried a number of the free titles that come with it, aswell as having a little jaunt around the cockpit of my Vulture in ED. It is, without a shadow of a doubt, the most amazing thing I have come across in PC gaming in years. Yes, the resolution is a bit meh when you compare to the 1080p+ screens we are all used to nowadays, and yes, there is a bit of a screen-door effect. But that all kind of pales into insignificance. You are *in* the game. It is truly amazing.

I'll have a pop at DCS over the next few days and let you know how it feels - but I expect great things!

Bunny

Re: HTC Vive

Post by Bunny » Wed May 11, 2016 11:17 am

I keep telling myself, next gen, just wait for the next gen :D

Tell me, how well can you make out controls and dials?

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Goat

Post by Goat » Wed May 11, 2016 11:26 am

Keep talking... the suspense is killing me.....

:fap: :fap: :fap:

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Wed May 11, 2016 11:34 am

Next gen will be better in terms of resolution, granted - but you may well be waiting a while. And you'll still be tethered to the PC for at least another couple of revisions given the amount of info that has to be sent to the HMD.

So, dials etc. Not tried DCS yet (plan to do that at the weekend) so I can't tell you with regards to an aircraft cockpit - but the few youtubers who have tried it out report that dials are pretty good and legible. ED has a known issue with text being fuzzy and various other blurring issues in the Vive when compared to the Rift - but that's apparantly going to be fixed in ED 2.1. Having said that, when I was walking(!) around my Vulture cockpit last night I found it easy enough to read everything.

The best exepriences I have had with it so far are: Tilt brush (which is just brilliant), The Blu (enormous Blue Whale! That made the missus shriek I can tell you.. :lol: !) and Vanishing Realms (Alpha game in steam, I got to fight a skeleton last night. In a dungeon. With a sword. I'm pretty sure I shat myself a little bit.) Oh, and Minecraft. That's pretty awesome in VR.

I know Colander is currently working on Rift integration for CloD, and I am hoping he will do it in OpenVR as it then *should* be cross compatible with the Vive. If / when he does it CloD is going to be jaw-dropping. Provided the dials are legible.

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Wed May 11, 2016 11:38 am

I'm wanting to try this when I get a vive.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/450540/
I mean, I had fast motor cars and fast motor bikes, and when I wasn't crashing airplanes, I was crashing motor bikes. It's all part of the game — Sir Harry Broadhurst

Goat

Post by Goat » Wed May 11, 2016 11:49 am

I just can't believe you have enough self control to not say ”fuck work today... I'll live in the VR for the next 16 hours.”

Which GPU do you have?

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Wed May 11, 2016 11:55 am

I was tempted, believe me... But then again I was tempted to say "fuck work" before the Vive turned up too.

I'm running 2 GTX 970s in SLI.

Kondor

Post by Kondor » Wed May 11, 2016 1:59 pm

Hell, if I bought ~€1000 worth of gaming device without getting CO/ wife's permission, no blue whale would help me... :lol:
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you, He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Wed May 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Ah well, she doesn't actually know how much it cost and is (hopefully) not interested enough to look it up.*

*If ever I stop posting on the forums and turning up for campaigns you will know that she finally did look it up. Along with all of the other "cheap" stuff I've snuck in over the years... :shock:

Donkey
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Adjutant
Staff

Post by Donkey » Mon May 16, 2016 12:15 am

Ok, so I finally got to try out my Vive with FSX, DCS and ED this evening. It's brilliant, immersive and jaw dropping ... but, if I am honest, the resolution is not high enough to really (really) wow. Sure, everything is more than playable - but you have to lean in to really make out the instruments without any issues. Having said all that, it's a hell of an experience and it really *is* like flying a real aircraft (including spatial disorientation and feeling a bit sick...). I flew into one of the old airports I did some of my PPL flights out of years ago and I was there, really there. With bad eyesight.

I do not regret buying it, it is amazing. But flight sims could really do with a few more pixels and less screen-door effect.