ACG rFactor Server and League

We don't just fly

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Broadsword

Re: Racing Games

Post by Broadsword » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:34 pm

I think both ideas have merit. Keeping track numbers down to aid learning is very useful, but variety is fun, so on balance I favour Propnut's plan, assuming we have access to two servers.

Thanks to Propnut and Schmuck for getting this arranged, and apologies to whoever was driving that blue Porsche that I shunted last night - I'll try to be more careful :D
I must go up to the skies again, to the peace of silent flight, To the gull’s way, and the hawk’s way, and the free wings’ delight;
And all I ask is a friendly joke with a laughing fellow rover, And a large beer, and a deep sleep, when the long flight’s over.

Propnut

Post by Propnut » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:46 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. The PC that I am using can handle multiple servers and rFactor is made with multiple servers in mind.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Propnut wrote:What about two servers; one which has a single track that is our "weekly" race the other with a variety of tracks and cars for practice, fun, etc. rFactor 2 allows voting to change tracks so if you log in and want a different track that is pretty easy. The Weekly track allows us to practice and on one track and get better with it.Perhaps a finishing with a Saturday race and then the track changes.

This is true for the cars also. We could do F1 one week, classic open wheelers the next, GT3, etc. And of course all of these would be available in the general server as well.

General Server: Multiple cars and tracks changeable via voting

League Server:Single track/Car type per week changing after the end of the race week.

What do you all think?

I need to get the rFactor server PC set up so others of us can get in and edit settings as well. We need to find a good balance between difficulty and fun.

Reminder, the server is called ACG and the password is 1940
That sounds like a very good solution. I'm not sure I can commit to a fixed weekly session, though. What would you think about a longer interval between league races? Two weeks maybe.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Propnut

Re: ACG rFactor Server and League

Post by Propnut » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:40 pm

Not sure if a two week set would work, depends on how much response there is. Racers might get bored with the same track for more than a week. But with the second server it would be offset with variety there.

I am, personally, ok with a two week rotation though.

Propnut

Post by Propnut » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:09 pm

UPDATE:

We now how two fRactor servers up and running, one will rotate on an agreed upon schedule while the other has a variety of cars and tracks that can be changed by vote in the server.

ACG Weekly(for now)
Password:1940

ACG Rotational
Password:1940

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:35 pm

A very thorough guide about car settings:

http://www.onwheelstv.com/tag/rfactor-2 ... de/page/2/
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Propnut

Post by Propnut » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:41 pm

This picture from that guide just kills me. A perfect explanation of ABS:

Propnut

Post by Propnut » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:53 pm

Something I should mention about that guide, it is rather old and from what I have read a great deal has changed since it was originally posted (on ISI's forum).

The author, David O'Reilly, had originally posted it for free on the ISI website but his later versions are available as a downloadable PDF for a small fee (5 Euro) via email. Here is the thread and contact information on ISI's forum:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2 ... uide/page5

Seems worth 5.63 USD to me.

Schmuck

Post by Schmuck » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:43 am

Do we want to plan a race night for GT3 at Sebring. I think most of us have been on the server practicing I think we should have a race night. With enough laps for at least 1 pit stop for immersion. Possibly a timed race

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:46 am

I'm all for it. I would prefer no ai and all real players if possible.