The gun topic

Idle chat for all ACG and friends

Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Thaine

Re: The gun topic

Post by Thaine » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Dickie wrote:
Thaine wrote:But Bubi has a point. Give the good guys guns, don't give them to the bad guys. Easy!
But Stephen Paddock was a good guy according to the paperwork.

Sorry, I was wearing my sarcasm concealed.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Damnit Thaine, you know you're only going to lower the rate of blue on blue jokes by doing that!!

:nuts:

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:57 pm

Thane my friend, no easy button on this is there?
Bad guys will always break the laws, so the solution is is likely to restrict guns to the law abidding. Im for more and swifter capital punishment of those who murder. Its about the only thing thugs understand.
Dickie wrote:
Thaine wrote:But Bubi has a point. Give the good guys guns, don't give them to the bad guys. Easy!
But Stephen Paddock was a good guy according to the paperwork.
That.. is the spooky good point D

So one of the things the government supposedly monitors is the frequency and quantity of gun purchases. Paddock was buying alot of guns for a very long time, and much of his stash in the last few years. Something didnt flag in this process apparently.

The guy had a clean record, so there werent any other flags to have been raised. When a “good” guy goes bad, there isnt much of a warning is there? Still somebody had to know something and in time it will bubble up. My personal opinion, fwiw, is that the girlfriend knows more than shes singing to. It hard to hide things from women as most of us know. ;)

Regarding the quips on if the crowd all had CCWs, well can you imagine 25,000 guns all trained on that window? Seriously, this massacre was a perfect storm of how to maximize carnage with a cache of modded semi-automatic rifles. Shooting human fish in a barrel of effectively. I imagine hotels will start employing TSA like security scanning. More eroding of public trust and freedoms due to exploits of few deranged.

Oh Broadsword, your logic is always welcomed as an alternative train of thought. Its your choice of words which color them that makes it harder to digest. Its like condensation gets in the way of conversation. Its like those rioters that yell in the marketplace, thier attitude and volume inhibits their point of view from being heard. Tone it down old boy. Learn from Dickie’s very abbreviated or Bunny’s application of wit. Both are easy on the eyes and ears, even when they are off to Left field.
:D

Almost everytime some crazy jihad or garden variety thug goes on a murder spree, I believe its someone with a gun (private citizen or government employee) that has to shoot the bastage in order to stop them. And the longer it takes to get a gun toting good guy on the scene, the more the carnage. Government cant be everywhere all the time, and vetted citizens are more available. We have so many cases of CCW citizens stopping bad guys at their own risks.
"Train as you fight, fight as you train"

Stig

Post by Stig » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:42 pm

well can you imagine 25,000 guns all trained on that window?
What if just 1% of the crowd had guns and were firing at the window, or more likely in the general direction of that window; do you think that the casualties would have been lower or higher, Bubi?

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:51 pm

I wonder if some of the cencealed carriers would have shot each other. Shots get fired, people die and get injured. A good citizen draws his gun and tries to find the shooter, another one does the same and spots the first and fires, add a third or a fourth person, add some panic and confusion...
I never was in a gunfight obviously, but from what I remember from ARMA and other tactical shooters is, that I often had no clue where the shots were comming from.
Fractal Design Define R6 / Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER / Intel i9-9900K / 32 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX2080Ti / WD Black SN750 / Corsair Hydro H100i RGB Platinum / Corsair RM850x / WINDOWS 10 / LG 42LE5300 / TrackIR / HP Reverb G2 / Saitek AV8R-MK3 / Saitek ProFlight Throttle Quadrant / Saitek ProFlight Rudder Paddels / Saitek ProFlight Cessna Trim Wheel

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:45 am

Bubi wrote:can you imagine 25,000 guns all trained on that window?
I don't think that would be a very good thing. Unless everyone at the concert was CC'ing (or even open-carrying, for the sake of argument) rifles as well, no one's going to be able to effectively return fire on that guy since he was shooting at them from over 400 meters away. And if they did all just happen to have rifles with them, now you have 25,000 people all shooting at a hotel that's more than 400 meters away. You think they're ALL going to hit, or even aim at the right spot? Not very likely. What's more likely is the hotel is going to get shot up REALLY badly and people inside are going to get hurt or killed.

Your average good guy with a gun has no answer for a situation like the Vegas shooting.

Bubi

Post by Bubi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:46 am

And there we have it, Sutherland Springs attack, and exactly why i carry my Glock19 even to church. It took a NRA licensee to take out the killer without a license to carry.

Crazies and crooks will always have guns, bombs, trucks, acid, knives, rocks, etc. The citizen has a right to defend themselves. More laws and less guns in the hands of good citizens would not have saved these church people’s lives.

Fortunately, no bullet can touch thier souls. Going from church to Heaven to be face to face with thier Lord, there are worse ways to go. But that takes amazing grace to fully comprehend. But I digress.

Weak governments want to disarm their citizens so they are easier to control with their weapons. Strong governments trust sovereignty to its armed citizens as a means to preserve it, and liberty and life.
"Train as you fight, fight as you train"

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Bubi wrote:Crazies and crooks will always have guns, bombs, trucks, acid, knives, rocks, etc.
I think you're fucked.

You have so many guns they're like pebbles on a beach.

Imagine a beach with no pebbles. No one can get a pebble. Then you add pebbles, but only for people who prove they deserve a pebble - that they'll take good care of it and really won't use it to beat a person to death with, very slowly; they'll just use it for something innocent, like pebble skimming or suchlike.

But then we know some people are unscrupulous and will sell their pebble, or loan it out.

There are lots of unscrupulous people out there, who'd happily make a bit on the side. The more pebbles in people's pockets, the higher the percentage of pebbles owned by the nefarious portion of the population. Before you know it, good people also want pebbles - not because they're interested in skimming, but because they're scared of being bludgeoned to death, albeit very slowly and pathetically, by a nasty person with a pebble. So they get pebbles, and why shouldn't they? They're sound of mind (at the time of gaining the pebble), and would never use it for anything nasty. But the fact is, that's another pebble on the big beach. Another pebble that can go missing, for whatever reason, and end up in the wrong hands.

I suspect that the US is overloaded with pebbles - the good guys with pebbles don't want to give them up because there are bad people with pebbles. The bad people won't give them up because they can get what they want so easily by using them on good people without pebbles. The good people without pebbles start thinking, "hey - maybe we should get a pebble too, just in case, you know", and another pebble is born.

It's pebble mania. Soon everyone has a pebble, and those who don't, who are either so against them, or don't want the responsibility, or can't afford one, live in fear that they'll be burgled by a pebble-toting maniac.

And then one day, someone walks into town carrying a rock...

“It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes I-16s.” - Douglas Adams

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:24 pm

Sounds like we need to ban high-capacity pebble bags.

Thaine

Post by Thaine » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:37 pm

You're wasting your breath, Bunny. He only came to preach.