Moderators: Board of Directors, Command

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Re: Need info on Battle of Britain

Post by Dickie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Atreides wrote:............During the Battle Hitler also ordered terror bombings in response to a bombing of Berlin (we've just passed this date in our campaign), instead of focussing down the RAF, at a point were the RAF was considering withdrawing North.
In short, the Germans lost the battle as much or more than that the British won it.

Succes met je examen :nice:

:liar:

The Blitz was too late. September 9th 1940, and it was too late to mount an invasion. Also, the RAF were not considering a withdrawal north - citation needed....

Atreides

Post by Atreides » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:51 am

Dickie wrote: :liar:

The Blitz was too late. September 9th 1940, and it was too late to mount an invasion.
Ah, the liar/bullshit emoticon. No need to use that in a discussion like this one. I can be wrong and in a thread like this there`s bound to be some speculation ("what if"), but that`s something different than purposefully distorting the truth :lecture:

Even though Seelöwe was in the end indeed postponed to at least 1941, this was something which happened only on 17 september 1940, so by 9 september 1940 German command still might have gone ahead if the RAF had withdrawn.
Dickie wrote:Also, the RAF were not considering a withdrawal north - citation needed....
I`ve read about this, just like you found out about your 7 points. Can`t remember exactly where, but there are multiple references to the possibility of a withdrawal with a simple google search, like here: http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/ent ... _airfields
www.newworldencyclopedia.org wrote:And yet, the Luftwaffe was winning this battle of the airfields. Another fortnight of this pounding and the RAF might have been forced to withdraw their squadrons from the south of England.

Vanguard

Post by Vanguard » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:42 am

To the OP, my advice is to clearly define the difference between Operation Seelöwe and the Battle of Britain (aerial) as they are not one of the same. Consider the strategic situation, requirements and logistics for such an operation and examine what each armed force thought of the situation; in particular the difference in opinion between the Air Forces and other armed services of both sides. Ultimately, the operation required German aerial and naval superiority to attempt invasion, the latter which could not have been achieved even with the former in 1940.

Even though Seelöwe was in the end indeed postponed to at least 1941, this was something which happened only on 17 september 1940, so by 9 september 1940 German command still might have gone ahead if the RAF had withdrawn.
Considering both contemporary and modern assessments of Operation Seelöwe deemed aerial superiority inadequate, there is little evidence to support that an amphibious invasion would go ahead.

The pilot shall be considered to have above-average intelligence and normal (average) common sense.

NATOPS A1-F18AC-NFM-000, Preface, p. 55.

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:12 am

I'd like to go back to my point about Ultra which again is overlooked. Lads, we went to Bletchley ffs! When one side knows the intentions and strengths of the other then the battle is won, or in the case of overwhelming force a withdrawal is controlled. Dowding knew in detail what Germany had in strength and what the strategy was, and he planned around that. This is more important than anything else.

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:49 am

Dange wrote:The Eastern front. .....?
I don't get it. Are you saying they didn't win the Battle of Britain because of the Eastern Front? Are you aware that the Battle of Britain was over well before Operation Barbarossa started?

Dickie
Group Captain
Group Captain
ACG Board
contributor

Post by Dickie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:30 pm

What he means is that Hitler never intended to head West. He had to in order to secure his western flank once the BEF invaded. Once Sealion was off he piled everyone over for Bararossa, the original intention.

LuftAsher

Post by LuftAsher » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:57 pm

Dickie wrote:What he means is that Hitler never intended to head West. He had to in order to secure his western flank once the BEF invaded. Once Sealion was off he piled everyone over for Bararossa, the original intention.
That kinda makes sense. I dunno how I was supposed to figure all that out since his argument could fit in a fortune cookie, but if that's the case I guess he's not wrong ¯\_(ツ)_/¯